- 3 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 Tablespoons of hummus
- ½ cup of Spinach
- 2 Slices of Tomato
- Sliced Red Onion (To Taste)
- 1 portabella mushroom cap
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 Teaspoon of Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tablespoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper (To Taste)
Slice the portabella mushroom cap into thick slices of about ½ of an inch in width. In a sauce pan on medium heat, warm the olive oil until hot. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper until fragrant. Once fragrant add the sliced mushroom to the hot pan and cook until brown and tender (about 5 mins). Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Toast three slices of bread. Smear the hummus on one side of each of the pieces of the bread. Add the onion, tomato, and spinach then top with the warm mushroom. You can use a toothpick to help keep your sandwich together.
— By Nia, Rutgers University